Jaime Fennelly of Mind Over Mirrors made AdHoc a mix of his current favorites.
Chicago-based harmonium and synthesizer maestro Jaime Fennelly, a.k.a. Mind Over Mirrors, enlisted an ensemble of musicians including Janet Beveridge Bean (Eleventh Dream Day), Jim Becker (Califone), Haley Fohr (Circuit des Yeux), and Jon Mueller (Death Blues) for Undying Color, likely his most assured statement—among many qualified others—yet. Undying Color is out February 17 via Paradise of Bachelors. To mark the release, Fennelly made AdHoc a mix of music he’s been spinning lately entitled Punch Drunk & Euphoric Sustains Vol. 2; read what he had to say about the collection below and check out the tracklist after the jump.
From whirling dervish ceremony opener “Taksim,” by Turkish Ney-master Hayri Tümer, to Willie Dunn’s vision inducing “Peruvian Dream,” from Midori Takdada’s patient organ-like shakuhachi to the recently reissued multi-voiced Casio jam by Yishak Banjaw, and everything between and beyond, this is a collection of music that has been on regular rotation over the last few months, maybe even years. Each of these records has served me personally as a temporary balm from the day-to-day onslaught of America’s new “presidential” face, which more resembles a half-PT Barnum, half-Mussolini (I must credit writer Mike Davis for that accurate comparison) megalomaniac. Let’s take a moment or two when we need it for ourselves, and then move back to being engaged and supporting our fellow humans, non-humans and environment any which way we can.
1. “Taksim (Solo-Meditation)” by Derviches Tourneurs, Flutes Orientales Sacrées des Derviches Tourneurs (1971)
2. “Fatine” by Abdou El Omar, Nuits D’Été Avec Abdou El Omari (1976)
3. “One Million Years Ago” by Broadcast & The Focus Group, Investigate Witchcults of the Radio Age (2009)
4. “Voce in XY” by Lino Capra Vaccina, Antico Adagio (1978)
5. “Peruvian Dream (Part 2)” by Willie Dunn, Native North America (original release 1971, reissue 2014)
6. “Gadarene Fugue” by Nathan Bowles, Whole & Cloven (2016)
7. “Dounian” by Coulibaly Tidiane & Dafra Star, Bobo Yéyé: Belle Époque in Upper Volta (reissued 2016)
8. “Trompe-l’œil” by Midori Takada, Through the Looking Glass (1983)
9. “Side Band” by Arnold Dreyblatt & The Orchestra of Excited Strings, Animal Magnetism (1995)
10. “Blind Willy” by Sonny Sharrock, Black Woman (1970)
11. “Banjey & Medh” by Mohammed Guitar, Wallahi Le Zein!! Wezin, Jakwar And Guitar Boogie From The Islamic Republic Of Mauritania (2011)
12. “Segno Sra Allebign” by Yishak Banjaw, Love Songs Vol. 2 (2016)
13. “Pesrev (Introduction)” by Flutes Orientales, Sacrées des Derviches Tourneurs (1971)